Monday, February 16, 2009

Breakfasts are the BEST! Peanuts are not the best.

This was a super fun weekend because I got to see my Lauri!!!! YAAAAAY!!!! Lauri and I were neighbors in PA when we were younger, and we've been best friends since elementary school. However, because we live on opposite sides of the country now, we don't get to see each other as often. (I know, it's very sad, and Lauri is one of my top reasons that I want to live in PA again some day. It's true, girl!) But on Friday, Lauri was on her way from L.A. to Las Vegas for a photography convention (she owns her own business, called Lalee Photography, and is ridiculously talented), and I got to see her again! Hooray!!

We ended up going out to breakfast at Marston's, which was introduced to me by a few girlfriends several months ago, and which is super yummy. Lauri's friend Cathy, who was visiting from Australia for the same convention, joined us, and we had such a nice time! (Cathy also owns her own photography business, called Beautiful Moments, and is also crazy talented!) Lauri and I got giant egg-and-meat-and-potato breakfasts, and Cathy ordered blueberry pancakes because, she said, they were so American and she had to have blueberry pancakes while she was in the U.S. :-) Haha!

Jean and Lauri, being smiley and proper:
Jean and Lauri, being cute and cuddly:
Cathy, the Australian photographer extraordinaire!!
Afterwards, we took some pictures out front (next to the American flag, which Cathy wanted in the shot -- she's so cute!), and then visited the grocery store so they could stock up on food for their drive to Vegas. So, that was fantastic, and although it was sad to say goodbye, I already can't wait to see my Lauri again. :-)

It was a little rainy later that day, so Weston and I headed to the mall while Tim was at class. Weston loves the kids' play area there, and mostly he just follows around the bigger kids and tries to smile at them. He also tries to step up onto things, even though he's not yet able to step up onto things. I didn't take any pictures (doh!), but it's rather comical watching him play and explore. After the mall, we visited Art Center to surprise Daddy at class, and Weston stormed up and down the hallway, yelling "DA!" over and over again. Needless to say, it was not very subtle. I sure love that crazy kid.

On Saturday, we went to a Valentine's Day / Welcome New Bishopric! / Goodbye Old Bishopric!-themed breakfast at church. Weston explored the hallways a little bit:
His walking continues to improve, and apparently so does his drool production:
Later I asked Tim to smile and look very nice for the camera here, but the photo turned out much too dark:
So I asked him to do the very same thing, sit still and smile, so that I could take a picture without the flash. Guess what he did:
That afternoon, we all visited the playground, where Weston stomped around and explored and tried to walk in the street several times. He adores animals, so he really liked watching the doggies run around and play with each other. Then later, thanks to our handy babysitting exchange (our substitute for actual family babysitters), Tim and I were able to go on a very very very wonderful date for Valentine's Day. We ate at Buca di Beppo (thanks for the gift card, Maw!), strolled around Old Town, and thoroughly enjoyed the non-baby time together. It was very nice. I've decided that Tim and I need a proper date night more frequently than once every two months. (Note to people who don't have kids yet: GO OUT ON DATES. LOTS OF THEM. RIGHT NOW.) :-)

Then on Sunday, we had a crazy encounter from our past. (Attention all Wymounties!!) We ran into Mel Sawyer at church, here in Pasadena! Bishop Sawyer was the first bishop that Tim and I ever had as a married couple back in Provo. He and his wife were at our ward here because they have friends who are moving in soon. Bishop Sawyer remembered us and was very excited to see us again (in his cool, nonchalant way). He was happy to say that he officially retired on January 1st from his job, so I congratulated him on that. Small world!

Anyway, seeing as Weston is almost a year old, I decided that Sunday would be a good day to give him an itty-bitty peanut butter sandwich, to see if he likes peanut butter. And guess what! He loves it! And guess what else? He's super allergic!! Okay, not super. But after lunch, part way through his naptime, he started screaming and crying, and we discovered that his left eye was really swollen. We called the doctor, but since he wasn't having any other problems, she just prescribed a small dose of Children's Benadryl, which Tim ran out and bought. Poor little guy! Here are some photos:

Weston's puffy eye (his left eye, which is on your right):
Another view of the puffiness:
The pediatrician informed me on the phone that you're actually supposed to wait THREE years, not one year, to introduce peanuts. Whoops. Now at his next appointment, he'll probably have to undergo some tests to find out how allergic he is to peanuts, and if he has other nut allergies. Oy vey. And plus, this morning he woke up with red bumps all over his body, so apparently the peanuts are still running their course. Blarg! No more peanut butter for Baby!!!

19 comments:

Tiff said...

1. Yay Lauri! How fun for you!

2. That picture of Tim is so Special Ed. that I can hardly contain myself. Seriously. Short yellow bus all the way. "Uh oh!"

3. YAY BISHOP SAWYER! He used to take naps on Dave's shoulder in Sacrament meeting. Good times.

4. I didn't know you had to wait 3 years for peanuts! Malia's 3 now and has been eating them for at LEAST a year. Oops.

Liz Johnson said...

Yeah, Connor's been eating peanuts for a long while... and Chris even has nut allergies. Blarg. I'm so sorry that you have to deal with that... peanut allergies are so scary. They're in EVERYTHING!! Agh.

ARE YOU SERIOUS?? Bishop Sawyer?! Did he talk about fishing??? :)

I really like Tim's "I have no face" picture. HILARIOUS.

I'm so glad you and Lauri got to hang out. Yay for Jean having fun! :)

dana said...

Poor little puffy eye!
And YES to GO ON DATES!!!
fun weekend. Glad you got to see your fun friend!

lyndsey said...

dually noted on going out. b and i shall conduct multiple dates this week in honor of your recommendation.

also...BUMMER on the peanut butter? is that something he'll grow out of? um, life w/out peanut butter...that's like the worst punishment i could imagine for a human being.

Wendi said...

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't know about the no peanuts til 3 thing. I think my kids started eating PB sometime after 1 but definitely before 2.

Wow. And that's so crazy that you saw Bishop Sawyer!

Lesley said...

Thanks for the update! I totally want a BFF who is an excellent photographer. What a great skill! I love the shots she took of you and Tim that you shared a while back.

No peanuts til 3 years old? Too bad Ian just ate a PB sandwich for lunch. And has been eating them since 1 year... is it honey that is 1 year? Man, there really should be a better manual for this job.

James Cramer said...

Hey Jean & Lauri, do you remember NPSH '98, 'Wu Tang Clan ain't nothin' to -- with'? lol.

Lisa said...

Oh sad day on the peanuts. I've definitely seen kids eat it before 3. But, at least maybe he won't always be allergic to them. And now you have cool puffy-eye pictures. And a blurry-head picture of Tim.

You guys rock :)

Abbie said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Oh Jean, I am so sorry (not about Lauri - that is way too fun!) Peanut allergy! NO NO NO NO! Seriously, that is no fun! But at least it didn't kill him. Sorry to be so frank, but now you know it really won't kill him. Welcome to the "I carry and epipen in my purse" club. It's sad to get membership, but there are good friends to support you. We can be find-recipes-with-no-peanut buddies.

Much peanut-free hugs coming your way.

Abbie said...

P.S. How fun to see Bishop Sawyer! I loved his stories.

Dana Carlin said...

awwww, that is soooo sad about his peanut experience :( i hope it doesn't become a bigger issue.
and those last 2 pics of him - holy CRAP! he looks SO old! like way older than he did in december. it's weird. maybe because he's walking and getting all mature, he felt like he needed to look older. (btw- Killian is freaking out over the new pics, as usual.)

James Cramer said...

Hey Lisa,

Ok, so I'm like totally busted for not reading the whole blog. I read the first half and our car rides to the high school just popped into my head. I think it sucks that Weston is allergic to peanut butter because it's in like everything. Maybe it’s good that he's like really allergic though because from what I've heard PB is not really that good for you anyway.

James Cramer said...

Hey Abbie,

I don't think it's like that that big of a deal, but whatever, take care.

James Cramer said...

Hey Abbie,

I'm not a member of your church, however I've gone a couple of times, liked the emphasis on the Holy Spirit. So what is it about Bishop Sawyer's stories that is so entertaining?

Sincerely, James Cramer

James Cramer said...

Hey Dana,

Ya he's totally growing, I think it's awesome.

Emily said...

Bishop Sawyer? how funny! it is such a small world. He was a great man. That is too bad about the peanuts! I hope everything works out for the little guy, and I'm so glad his reaction wasn't any worse!

Headle said...

I love the pictures of you and Lauri together!! You two are soo cute!!

I didn't know about waiting until three years to introduce PB either...yikes, good to know for the next time around! Hope Weston is feeling better!!

Lalee Photography said...

Yaaay Jean!! I had so much fun visiting! I wish it wasn't just for 2 hours though. It was so sad leaving. I miss you SOOO much you have no idea. I vote YES on moving back to PA asap!!! :-)

I'm so sad for Weston's eye! Lucy is allergic to peanuts too - but the good news is that they usually grow out of it, so I will keep my fingers crossed for Weston b/c peanut butter is yummy!

daMawma said...

You grew up without any food allergies. Let's hope that little Weston (and you) can adjust easily to his surprise allergy. Testing now is a good idea.