Thursday, April 2, 2009

I'm Killing the American Mall

A little while ago, I came across THIS ARTICLE, entitled "Is the American mall dying?"

Based on the recent lagging of discretionary purchases caused by the market downturn, and the resultant declining sales at traditional mall "anchors" like Macy's and J.C. Penney, the author of the article insinuates that yes, yes the traditional American mall is dying. And I have discovered that I am apparently killing it.

I love the mall. I've always loved it - when I was a kid, my mom would take me to our local mall, and we'd walk around and shop a little and eat lunch in a restaurant (because those fancy "food courts" didn't exist yet). When I was a teenager, the mall was one of the few "fun places" that was available to us. If we didn't feel like hanging out at someone's house, then there were basically five options: (1) the mall; (2) the movies; (3) miniature golf; (4) bowling; and (5) whatever cheap restaurant sounded appealing (usually Friendly's or Denny's or a little diner). When a Borders store opened in our town, we were temporarily fascinated with it, too, but eventually realized that hanging out amidst books is kind of boring.

Before I had Weston, I went to the mall to shop and eat, usually as a date-type activity with Tim. Nowadays, I go to the mall as a play-type activity with Weston. Our local mall has a great children's play area, with big colorful animals and structures that kids can climb on, bang on, and run around. Weston LOVES it, especially in that he gets to watch the other kids and follow them around.

So, the mall isn't so much a shopping destination for me now, as an attraction to help pass those between-nap hours and keep Weston entertained. And I almost always do the same thing at the mall:

(1) Arrive and visit the play area, where Weston toddles around, climbs over the big cars, follows some bigger kids around, and inevitably escapes towards the adjacent Claire's.
(2) Collect my child and visit the pet store at the other end of the mall, where Weston giggles at the puppies and bangs on the glass.
(3) Walk back to the elevator, go up to the second floor, and visit Williams-Sonoma (where I will never buy anything, unless I have a gift card, which I do right now, which is great). Maybe, if I'm lucky enough, I'll get to enjoy a food sample there.
(4) Scan the window displays of Baby Central (Baby Gap, Children's Place, Gymboree, etc.) while on my way to See's Candies, where again, I try to score a free sample, but rarely actually buy anything.
(5) Go back down to the first floor, hang out at the play area a little longer, and then leave.

That's my mall itinerary. Sometimes I like to vary it by getting an Auntie Anne's pretzel (only if I have a coupon for a free one), or by sniffing the newest scents at Yankee Candle. But, visiting the mall is a pretty proscribed activity for me. I'm a routine kind of girl.

And this leads me back to the article - how the American mall is dying. Because right now the mall is an attraction for me (the stay-at-home mom looking for interesting activities for my toddler), and not a shopping destination, and because I usually go about once a week, there's really no motivation on my part to spend any money. I'm accustomed to the goods that I see all the time, and besides, a lot of them are overpriced, as compared to our discount big-box retailers. (I'm a devoted follower of the Target/Wal-Mart phenomenon, and FYI, I also visit Target about once a week, not as an attraction as in the case of the mall, but as my shopping destination.)

I feel a little guilty for taking advantage of the mall's amenities and then rarely spending money to support them. I am killing the American mall, and I know this. Macy's and J.C. Penney may be writhing in their death throes right now, but I ignore them, enjoying my free play area, even though I know that their demise would mean the disappearance of said beloved play area. Maybe I should spend money on an Auntie Anne's pretzel every now and then? Or actually venture into a store where I don't have a gift card? In the end, I think my tightfistedness will overcome my feelings of guilt and obligation to support my local mall. Sorry, American mall. I love ya, but I think we'll just play here for now, and then get that thing that I want at Target.

14 comments:

lyndsey said...

this was such an entertaining essay on the demise of the american mall that i just HAD to comment.

jean i love that you are so blunt about your love for free samples [because who am i kidding, i love them too!] and the fact that you shop at target once a week. we are twins. [and you are a very clever writer.]

long live target! [and super walmart, and super target, the only 2 things keeping me feeling good about the UT move.]

megan said...

totally interesting

I never really thought about the fact that I was killing the american mall

how things change when ya have kids...

we really don't go to the mall much b/c of that carousel right in the center...caden always has tantrums if we don't let him ride it...it's so overpriced...and so inviting all at the same time

dana said...

Amen and amen. And yea, I'm kinda sad to think that I'm killing the mall too.

Lalee Photography said...

Poor mall. I remember back to my single days when I would frequent every friday for a cute "going out" outfit. Now if we spend ANY money at the mall, it's at Sears where Mikey can find $5 pants for work. Ah Sears.

dietcokegrrl said...

Yep--totally guilty. So sad...

Jacob Sparks said...

What do you love about the mall if you dont buy anything? The overcrowded floor? The limited amount of parking?

I dont see the draw if your not going for a product or item.
Wouldn't the park provide the same experience? (Trash cans have free samples too!) With the parks they are paid with tax dollars and are meant to be used for the purpose you are using the mall for. Im honestly curious to what makes you want to go there?

Dana Carlin said...

To Jacob: I can't speak on behalf of Jean, but I can tell you for myself that the free activites provided by the mall (such as a play area) are completely different from any parks. The major bonus is that everything is indoor - so we can go there during all kinds of weather and in any temperatures. Also, the people-watching is much better in a mall setting (which is MY main source of entertainment). Let's not forget about elevator rides, pet stores, and free samples - all of which keep both kids and parents entertained for a long time. Now, I'm not saying that your points are not valid, but parks get old if they're the only places you're frequenting to entertain your kids. And that's all I have to say about that.

daMawma said...

Of course, Jean, parenthood changes everything. Gone are your middle school days when you would spend the bulk of your allowance on stickers and gag gifts or posters from Spencer Gifts. Even then, you could not buy everything that sparkled!

Jacob Sparks said...

To Dana: Thank you for playing the part of Jean. She is to famous for us these days. So you to become her surrogate is just as good! Thanks for the POV info. It definitely makes sense. When all you see all day is the same little face you want to broaden your visual range. What I dont get is if you all like it so much, why not support it? A pretzel or a drink; Something has to be better than nothing. I guess they are worth keeping for the communal aspect, i can agree with that. It would be sad if they where gone, but you cant beat amazon/target for shopping needs on a budget etc.

anyways, Thanks Dana aka Jean 2.0

:-D

Jean said...

To Dana: Here here!!

Emily said...

How interesting, and so true! We go to the mall just to walk around, sometimes I feel like the Irvine Spectrum Mall is just a parade of strollers! and I also LOVE Williams-Sonoma! But rarely buy anything, once we splurged on some marinade that was AMAZING. Anyway, loved the post Jean!

Karyn & Ed said...

I'm sorry it's been a while since I visited your blog! So here is my comment:
GO TARGET! COUPONS ROCK!

People may scoff at coupons but in light of the economy who can afford not clip & save?
Happy April Jean, Tim & Weston!!

~Karyn

Dana Carlin said...

To Jacob:
Thank you for your kind response/reaction to my comment. I am honored to be compared to Jean on any level, even if I have to settle for sub-par version 2.0.
I forgot to mention that I am not "killing the mall" as much as Jean or many other moms who have commented. I don't mean for that to sound as judgmental as it does - but I DO buy pretzels, lunch, and/or sale items almost every time I go. However, I admit that it's not with "supporting the mall" in mind - it's because I am a sucker. Still, I spend WAY more money at Target on a weekly basis.

Becky said...

Hi Jean!
It's been a pleasure reading your blog and I was especially interested in this one. I hope I don't scare you as we haven't talked face to face in...oh, maybe 13 years?!?!?!
Anyway, here's my comment...evil as it might seem! Down with malls! They are a way in which to GET you to spend money. They will do anything in their power to get you into the "complex of consumerism" like building play spaces for young children and being that indoor place to roam around most hours of the day. The "man" does this so that those of us who spend the money (Moms!) get in there more often and see the shiny, colorful new items that we just have to have! I applaud your ability and strength, Jean, in not purchasing from them! It's not easy sometimes, is it?? I personally would rather spend my money on things I actually need and spend a little here and there so someone else has something they need. These big corporations can't keep up the profits they've been swimming in for the past decade. It was a dream of their's, lived out well, but the truth is that we just don't need all that crap!
I guess we'll see what the next few years bring as far as the traditional mall is concerned. But for now keep using those play spaces and indoor stroller highways. Human beings need that kind of community place.