Sunday, February 14, 2010

Ramblings

HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY!!!

We had a fun weekend, what with the mini-Olympics party on Friday night that we hosted (USA! USA!) and the Japanese-themed Valentine’s dinner on Saturday night that our church hosted. Seeing as Valentine’s Day fell on a Sunday this year, we didn’t want to go out to eat, so instead we exchanged cards and little presents while Weston was awake, and then transformed our living room into a romantic little restaurant after he went to sleep. This might sound corny, but I realized that (minus the décor, service, and clean-up) we can have almost an equally pleasurable dining experience at an expensive restaurant as we can have in our candlelit living room (especially when curried shrimp is on the menu - yum - one of my favorite shrimp recipes!).

Anywho, on to the scandalous/degrading/uproariously hilarious job update (because I know many of you have been wondering what's going on). In lieu of the nitty-gritty, here's the basic recap of events:

Nov 2009: Luxoflux (a.k.a. summer internship company) offers Tim a full-time job. Hooray! Tim considers it, counter-offers, and waits for their response.

Dec 2009: Tim graduates from Art Center, and Luxoflux tells him that they can't get back to him right away about his counter-offer, because HR and Accounting have basically shut down for the holidays. So, we wait longer.

Jan 2010: After Tim inquires as to when his contract can be finalized, Luxoflux tells him that they still want to hire him, but they just don't have the funds for new hires until the next videogame project is green-lit by Activision (the parent company). We are told it might take 2-3 more weeks. We start to worry, and Tim starts searching for other jobs and freelance opportunities just in case.

Feb 2010 (this past Thursday): After five weeks of waiting, we receive a cryptic and distressing email from the (awesome) Art Director at Luxoflux (Tim's would-be boss). Soon enough, the internets are awash with reports of Activision closing their studio Luxoflux and downsizing some of their other studios. (See the LA Times article HERE.) Yep. Tim and I realize that our solid-as-a-rock backup plan has just evaporated, take turns having panic attacks, and then start applying with extreme vigor to other job openings.

Today: Nothing yet. Tim and Jean alternate between sobbing and laughing deliriously at this most recent turn of events.

Okay, just kidding about that last part -- there have only been a couple episodes of sobbing, and they were both me, and they were both a few weeks ago and not since. I am so happy that Tim has graduated, but since then, there has been that horrible, constant battle inside me between faith and despair (that ol' battle). Despair was winning in the beginning, but lately (surprisingly), faith has taken the lead. I truly, strongly believe that when one door closes, another one opens, and that things will ALWAYS be okay in the end. I just wish we could get to our happy ending sooner than later, and then laugh about how crazy and stressful that whole job search period of our lives was. :-P

But in the meantime, we're hanging in there, and there have been many blessings during this trial, too, which tells me (as usual) that all will be well. Right now, we're just trying to find a practical plan for our future. We'll keep you posted. Oh, and if you have some space in your prayers, we'd really appreciate if you could give us a shout-out to the man upstairs. :-)

Last but not least of my ramblings... this week Suzanne Collins released the title and cover of the third and final installment in the Hunger Games trilogy!:

WOOHOO!!!!! Click HERE to see an article about it. I CAN'T WAIT!!! Anticipation for this book will get me through ANY struggle that we may face. I love this story!!! :-)

15 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! Jean, I am SO SORRY! That is terrifying. And you have a fantastic attitude, as always, but I'm so sorry that things aren't going your way quite yet. If you ever want to talk (or vent!) give me a call... I think I might understand your frustrations. :) If you want to live in a "Johnson/Anderson Homeless With Multiple Degrees" compound, let me know. :)

Lisa said...

Oh man, I am so, so sorry. That sucks. But I know that things will work out!! And I'm glad that faith is winning. But I totally know that battle. We'll be praying for you.

And I'm so glad you told me about MOCKINGJAY. I never read the news so I learn about new things from you :) Off to read the article--CAN'T WAIT.

Lalee Photography said...

Poor you guys!! I too am a HUGE believer that everything happens the way it's supposed to and will work out for the best in the end. It will just take a little more patience! Even though you guys are already in our prayers, we'll add an extra special "help Tim secure job" addendum. It will happen!! Lots of hugs!!!

Headle said...

JEAN! Oh, I'm so sorry!!! How incredibly stressful!

You are such an incredible example of faith!! The scripture you shared with me is now one of my favorites. It doesn't surprise me that faith is winning...this is JEAN we're talking about here!!!

Some sobbing is good too. I know I would after such a rollercoaster! More prayers on the way!

You are such an optimistic and beautiful family! The Andersons have a blazing bright future ahead!! Maybe there's a PIXAR job waiting for you after all? :)

James Cramer said...

Hey Tim and Jean, our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Deidra said...

The Lord will bless you, and that's a very good feeling. I hope he blesses you with a job soon and that everything works out without too much stress, but if it doesn't, he'll still be watching over you. We'll keep you in our prayers, because we've been there and it's not a fun place to be.

daMawma said...

Oh, what a mess! (That's Southern for "Oh crap") You know you can always count on family while you regroup. And Weston is prevented by child labor laws from climbing ladders and harvesting avocados. How about looking for something on the East Coast?

Cali said...

Yikes! That is stressful. Glad you let people know - there is definitely power in combined prayers.

I am also super excited for the next Hunger Games book!!

Abbie said...

UGH! That stinks, but you have such a good attitude. How? Okay, more prayers going up to the Andersons and the Johnsons. How can people not be hiring your men? HOW?!?! Good luck!

Dana Carlin said...

Come live with us! You can have Killian's room! :)
I'm sorry you guys are going through this. I also believe that everything happens for a reason and that things will work out for the best in the end. But waiting for that time sucks :( At least you know you have a place to stay if it ever came to that. I say concentrate on the East Coast!! Holla!

dietcokegrrl said...

Oh NOOOOOOO!!!! JEAN! I am sooooo SORRY!! I had no idea that things had gone from bad to worse since we last talked.

Sobbing is good. Really. Sometimes you've just got to get it all out. (I speak from experience! :) )

So glad that you are so optimistic and have faith on your side. GOOD THINGS WILL HAPPEN!! Keep us posted! Love ya!!

sachia said...

I'm with Doris...crawling up into the fetal position and crying for hours is healthy.....oh wait, that is not what you said. I believe crying is good for you, we can't all be happy and snappy ALL THE TIME. I know something will come about and that is the hard part. The waiting, all the anticipation is such a test in different ways. You have all of us wrapping your arms around you and giving your son many spatulas and oranges.

sachia said...

Oopsie...I meant wrapping OUR arms around you! All of us are wrapping our arms around you girly. Why would you wrap your own dang arms around yourself? Hey, you should try it and see if that does anything, probably not.

La La Land said...

Oh no! I had no idea this was happening. So so sorry, and yes, I can fit you into my prayers, and will do!

lyndsey said...

holy crap. i totally read that article and didn't even put it together that that's tim's potential job. BOO! what a bummer. hang in there, friend...it will all work out! [ha. so much easier said than done.]

and btw if he hears of any other video game openings keep me posted...we kind of know a lot of gamer people ;) not that they'd be the artsy kind -- more of the PR kind -- but maybe they could help put in a good word.

and YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!! thanks for the heads up about mockingjay. i'm right there with ya...can't WAIT for that book.