Monday, February 1, 2010

Weston Is Funny

I must say, having a talking toddler is the best thing ever. Here are a few recent Weston tidbits:

**********

Last week when the State of the Union Address was on TV, I told Weston a few times that we were watching "President Obama." Then, after a few minutes, I asked him who was on TV. First he said, "Obamie!" and later he said, "Cubbins." The next morning, we asked him again who we had watched on TV the night before, and he said "Robot man." (?)

**********

Weston is currently obsessed with spatulas. They go with him everywhere - to the playground, to church, to his crib at night. If need be, he can be quickly spotted in a crowd of children because he is the one clinging tenaciously to a spatula:

Therefore, you can probably imagine his delight when we introduced him to this internet video. It has become his absolute favorite thing to watch on the computer, and he can watch it eight times in a row ("Pascha cidee gan, peese!!") without losing interest:


**********

When Weston does something funny, we usually chuckle and then say something like, "Hey, Weston, you're a funny kid!" One time, he did something funny, and then laughed at himself and said, "funny kid."

**********

One morning when I came into Weston's room to get him up, I happened to be wearing a red t-shirt with my red pajama pants. Weston looked at me and said, "Santa!" Then he went on to talk about "peasants" (presents).

**********

One of our child's favorite playthings is his Zurg action figure. Weston makes me and Tim hold Zurg and talk like him, so that he can then show things to Zurg and have a conversation with him. Usually it starts when Weston looks at us and points to Zurg ("Zug!"). After we've picked him up, Weston will look at him and say, "Hi Zug!", or sometimes he'll feed us a line by saying, "Hi Wetton!" Then he'll proceed to show Zurg all of the other toys in the room. Zurg is required to be extremely excited about this.

(When Weston is especially well-behaved at breakfast, sometimes Zurg will come and give him his gummy vitamin. If only you could see the joy.)

**********

When Tim was cooking dinner one time, the smoke detector went off. While Tim ran around opening all the windows (we don't have a stovetop fan), I grabbed a pillow and started waving it under the smoke detector to get it to stop screeching. Weston was fascinated with the whole operation. Over the next several days, he kept talking about the "pee-yoh" (pillow) that kept beeping ("BEEP BEEP!!") because Mommy was waving it around. He'd run into our bedroom and point to the beeping pee-yoh.

**********

On the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland, there's a piano on one side of the captain's quarters that appears to be playing itself. Tim and I pointed it out to Weston one time, and now every time he sees it, he gets really excited and yells, "PI-WET PINANO!!!!" (pirate piano)

**********

Weston caught me making a face like this one morning when I was putting on makeup, and now he likes to do it all the time. After a few moments of doing it, he CRACKS up and hops around for some reason:


**********
Sometimes I let Weston have some of my cereal while I'm eating breakfast, and one time when the cereal was all gone, I let him have a taste of the milk in the bowl. I'd been eating Cinnamon Life, so I asked him, "Does it taste like cinnamon?" Now, whenever he tastes the milk from my cereal bowl, he yells, "CIMMANIN!" (Even if I'd just eaten Kix, or Cheerios, or whatever. I think he thinks that "cimmanin" basically means "cereal milk.")

**********

Weston fancies guns very much. He has a little water gun that he plays with often, but when he was at Gangy's house, he had a whole arsenal of Jerebrett's Nerf guns to hold and shoot. Ever since then, he has started shooting people as a greeting. When he sees someone new, he'll either grab a gun-like object (straw, wooden block, etc.), or just use his hand, and yell, "Boom boom!!" That means you've been shot. Really, it's a compliment. (And don't worry, he has mastered the healing art of tickling, so he knows how to tickle you alive again.)

**********

Weston has gotten very good at anticipating the end of his favorite TV shows. When the end is near, he starts his "BAH BAH!!" (bye-bye) shouts. For instance:

Thaaaaaat's Elmooooo's woooooorld!
("BAH-BAH ELMO!! BAH-BAH ELMO!!")
Hip-hip hooray, the Super Readers saved the day!
("BAH-BAH SUPAH WHY!!")
Hot dog, hot dog, hot diggity dog!
("BAH-BAH MICKEY MOUSE!!")

**********

I attempted a photo shoot with Weston recently while he was playing with his ramp. (He loves when Tim and I build ramps with his wooden blocks.)

First I took some candid photos of him playing:

Then I said, "Hey Weston, can you smile for the camera?"

Then, when I thought our photo shoot was over, Weston stood up, walked over to the TV, and then turned around and looked at me (ready with his official pose, I guess?):

Then, he struck a new pose and looked at me like this:

Hahahaha! We love that kid.

12 comments:

Lesley said...

Weston is so old! He has a grown up haircut and talks like a real human! I just can't believe how quickly this has all happened.

Joseph loves spatulas too!

I love the story about the beeping peeyo!

What a cutie. We want a playdate with him right away.

Lisa said...

Okay, either I'm punchy, or you are crazy hilarious, or a combo of the two. Probably the combo. Because my stomach hurts from laughing so hard. And by stomach, I mean each side of my stomach, since my poor abs have been separated again.

I laughed SO HARD when I watched that spatula video. As if the video alone wasn't enough, I imagined how a kid who loved spatulas would react to it, and it made me laugh even more. I think I need to show it to Jonathan.

I'm so jealous of your talking kid--and he's talking so much!! Maybe he's making up for Jonathan, who STILL only says "Bah bah" (bye bye). LAME. I'm so excited for that "saying cute things" stage like explaining when the pillow beeped because mommy waved it. That is just too darn cute.

And seriously, when did he grow up??? There is not an ounce of baby left in that kid. He looks like a little man! And a little handsome man!! He is going to have so many girls on his tail.

Emily said...

I loved this post Jean! I know I've said this before but I always like to know what Weston is up to and think, "that's about where Max will be in one year!" Right now I can hardly picture Max talking. Weston is so funny. What a sweetie.

and yay for Cafe Rio! We made the trip a couple Saturdays ago, it was pretty busy then, looking at all the people I felt like I was in Provo again! haha! I'm excited for the one in Costa Mesa to open up because it's on the way to Balboa, my favorite beach. Cafe Rio + beach= happiness!

Liz Johnson said...

Holy crap, he is so big!!! I can't get over it!!! And I love his spatula obsession and the stuff with Zurg. Oh my hilarious. I wish we could hang out more so that I could hear these things in person!

Headle said...

Ok, I'll get to that sweet little Weston in just a minute but I have to say that Weston is SO SO SO LUCKY to have the parents he does! He's living in one of the happiest, funniest homes in America!! Ahhh...these stories are AWESOME!!!! I absolutely ADORE every one of these! I'm seriously smiling so much right now.

Weston is really talking! And that little look at the end of the post is perfect. Can't get over it, sooo CUTE!

Abbie said...

Hahaha!!! These are so good! Kids are so stinking funny! My favorite is the spatula obsession. Love it! And "Zug". Hahaha. He is so funny!

Brooke said...

What a cutie!

On a side note: when we were watching the presidential address, James informed us that church was on TV.

La La Land said...

So funny! Alice says by to her tv shows at the end, too.

Wendi said...

He's so big and so cute! I'm glad he loves spatulas. Has he seen Raul's Wild Kingdom yet? That's some good talking too! Most of the little boys i know, including my own, have been pretty slow talkers. Not Weston!

lyndsey said...

hahaha. oh man, this makes me excited for a talking kid. and interesting preoccupation w/ spatulas...apparently he is following in his dad's baking footsteps :)

Dana Carlin said...

i LOVE this post so so so much! i lughed a lot!!! i'm thinking about "shooting" people when i greet them, but it might not be as endearing coming from me...
and i think we should add that last pic to the "sweaty & determined" category!

daMawma said...

My grandson is such a charmer! With 2 highly verbal and expressive parents, what else could he be? You might buy Weston an old-fashioned eggbeater that he could turn by himself...he seems intrigued by mechanical toys. It will enhance his "chef" skills.