Saturday, October 4, 2008

Best-Ever General Conference Treat (If You Watch from Home)

First things first... A TEMPLE IS COMING TO PHILLY!!! A TEMPLE IS COMING TO PHILLY!!! YAAAAAAAAY!!! President Thomas S. Monson (president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) announced this morning that a site has been chosen for a new temple in Philadelphia. I know all the Latter-day Saints in the Philadelphia Stake and other surrounding stakes have been praying long and hard for this day to come! And now our prayers have been answered! Hooray!!! I imagine there's a lot of (reverent) celebrating going on back in Philly right now. :-) The temple is very special to me and to all members of our church; it is the House of the Lord, where sacred ordinances and very special meetings take place. Tim and I got married in a temple, where we were sealed together as an eternal family in a very small and inspiring ceremony. I just couldn't be happier about this!!!

Okay, so this recipe comes from Laura W (thanks hon!), and I like it because it's super fun, it's super easy, and it's super tasty. Therefore, I am heretofore designating it as the Best-Ever General Conference Treat, because you can whip it up really quickly during a hymn, and then eat it during the next talk. :-) Haha! It takes about 5 minutes to mix, and then another 3 minutes to bake in the microwave. It's also really easy because you can just use the same tablespoon measurer for all the ingredients, so there's hardly any clean-up. Go ahead and give it a whirl!

Chocolate Mug Cake
A moist, spongy mini-cake that you can make in a mug in the microwave.

4 Tbsp flour (plain, not self-rising)
4 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp cocoa
1 egg
3 Tbsp milk
3 Tbsp oil
Small splash of vanilla
3 Tbsp chocolate chips (optional)
Some chopped nuts (optional)

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Pour into a microwave-safe mug and cook on High for 3 minutes. (The cake will rise about an inch above the rim of the mug, but don't worry! It'll resettle.) Allow it to cool, and then tip it onto a plate, or just eat it out of the mug. Best served with milk or whipped cream or ice cream!

I, naturally, have already given it a whirl. Here's the mixed batter, ready for pouring into the mug:
Here's the finished mug cake:
Yum-O!
At first, I was a little disappointed that all the chocolate chips had sunken to the bottom of the mug, but then I decided that it was okay, because they're delicious wherever they are, and then I decided that it's awesome, because you get to find a secret surprise of melty chocolate at the bottom! Yaaaaaay secret melty chocolate surprise!!

12 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

YUM!!

I am so giddy about the 5 new temples. My brother served in Rome so he's doing cartwheels, and I'm excited for the Philly one since all of my family is around there. WOOHOO!! :)

Jenn said...

Oh Yummy! I'm going to try that... a yummy chocolate cake in less than 5 minutes, uh-oh this might be bad!

Lisa said...

Okay, I am SO trying this :)

Abby said...

We thought of you and Tim when Pres. Monson announced the Philly temple. :)

I'm going to try that chocolate cake. I'm thinking TONIGHT as soon as the girls are in bed. :) I have a recipe for cake in a mug using a cake mix but I don't really like how it turns out. So I'm excited to give this a whirl!

dana said...

I love myself a melty chocolate treat at the bottom of anything! fun cake idea. And hooray for a Philly temple! Very exciting.

Lesley said...

Oh baby. That is the best recipe I have ever seen -- I am always asking if anyone else in the house needs some cake, and no one ever takes me up on it. So single serving is perfect! Yum yum yum.

I thought of you when the Philly Temple was announced. So cool.

Ellsworth said...

I thought of you guys when we heard about the temple being announced! Yea!

This dessert might be a bad thing that it is so easy to make!! It looks mighty tasty!

B Brown said...

Maybe I'll get Mike in a temple yet, how can he pass up on a chance to go through one in his hometown! Yippee!

Liz Johnson said...

Also - TASTYKAKES?!?! I LOVE THOSE THINGS!!!!!! Ummmm yum.

La La Land said...

Okay, you totally stole my next blog idea...the mini cake! It's okay, though, because really, everyone needs to know about it's goodness. Also, yea for the temple in Philly! Steve was/is so excited, too!

Lalee Photography said...

That looks SO DELICIOUS!! And happy temple in Philly! That's so exciting so there will be one right here when you guys move back here. :-) YAY!!

Miss Tak said...

Hey! I have something useful to add! If you toss the chocolate chips in flour first, then mix them in last they won't sink!! :D